Visits to a supermarket these days are a dire necessity rather than a luxury in today’s jet setting life. Today no one has the time to visit the local market every day to buy necessities and daily household items. Today the daily household chores of a young urban family start right in the morning where the mother has to get her child ready for school. The problem escalates if both the couple are office goers.
As the priority of the family is to reach their workstations in time little can they manage to go to the market daily. The same applies to a middle class or an upper-middle-class family too.
No person whether he is an office goer or a senior corporate executive or for that matter, a housewife can vouch for that as to when he or she can come back in time and go for marketing. It is here that the role and function of a supermarket becomes all the more superlative. It is the supermarket or the big self-help departmental stores marketing almost everything under the sun plays a major role in meeting the needs of the people.
A typical supermarket broadly houses the following divisions:
- General convenience store
- Health food store
- Greengrocer items
- Kids area
- Durable and electronic items
- Health food store
- Food court.
An ideal supermarket has the following important characteristics:
- Usually in a convenient and prime location so that it is much easier for people to commute
- One can get almost everything required for the household under the same roof
- Almost all well-known brands under their respective product categories available
- Buyer’s choice is limitless
- Consumers can purchase items much below MRP with many attractive schemes.
Target audience of a supermarket group:
- Young couple with both of them working
- Corporate executives who are hard-pressed in time.
- Upwardly mobile families
- Senior citizens and elderly people who cannot afford to go around because of age
- People who are looking for deals, cash discounts, and freebies after every bulk purchase
- Logo – Logo of a supermarket is as important as any other consumer brand. The supermarket logo has to be simple but straightforward. It should be such that the brand recall value is quite high. Versatility coupled with relevance and poise must be truly reflected in the logo
- Name and tag line – The brand name has to be simple and unique depicting the features of the services rendered in a short sleek form. The target audience should be able to immediately relate themselves with the name. The tag line should propagate the convenience and the factor of price benefit in one simple sentence.
- Logo colour – At least two colours should be prominently present in the logo of a supermarket. They are blue which stands for dependability and brilliance and red which conveys happiness with prosperity.
- Pricing – Pricing is an extremely important benchmark of a supermarket operation. The consumers look forward to excellent cashback offers, sumptuous discounts, freebies exchange offers, discount and scratch coupons along with other popular consumer schemes.
- Positioning strategy – The primary objective of a supermarket is convenience and value for money with lots of lucrative and mind-blowing offers. Primarily, therefore, the supermarket to reach unassailable heights should zero on convenience, pocket-friendliness, and a one-stop hub for all the needs.
Brand Message – Every consumer of the supermarket looks for the following points so that they are in mental connivance with the supermarket. The points are-
- One-stop shop for all brands
- Multiple choice of brands
- Offers competitive prices
- Rates boil down to lesser than MRP
- Friendly ambiance
These messages need to be conveyed to the audience in no uncertain terms.
Brand Voice – The brand voice of the supermarket should be simple, loud, and clear. The language of the brand voice should clearly state the vast expanse of the supermarket chain, cheaper price with more and better discounts, and a horde of range and variety of items. For a better understanding of the target audience, the percentage of savings should also be clearly communicated.
Brand Personality – The sets of human values that will go a long way in establishing the brand to be deeply rooted in the minds of the target audience are as under-
- The supermarket is very much customer-oriented and friendly
- All the latest quality goods available at unbelievable prices.
Competitor’s activities – Tracking of competitor’s activities keenly in the industry is very essential. Some of the areas are –
- All major brands available at the competitor outlets must be available at the supermarket also
- Home delivery to be provided as an added value against the competition
- Freebies and offers must match the competitors and much more
- Better gifts on purchases as compared to the competitors
Advertisements and market promotion– Advertisement and sales promotion programmes are very essential for a supermarket promotion and a more profitable growth. Let us have a look at some of the essential options of supermarket promotion-
- Large size multi-coloured announcement ads in leading dailies both English and vernacular announcing weekly special deals and offers
- Weekly one-day promotion with maximum discount.
- Usage of outdoor media extensively highlighting the offers
- Leaflet distribution with offers in newspapers targeting the potential customers
- Tie up with sponsorer of important events
- Tie up with discount coupons involving large media houses for their subscription bases
- Email marketing with the subscription base
- Extensive social media advertisements
- Huge discount on products on days of national importance
- Product displays at eye level
- Extensive usage of point of sale materials inside the supermarket.
- Operation of instant discount at floor level
- Branding on shopping bags
- Online transactions
Office and showroom environment:
- Huge massive and extensive branding very essential at all showrooms and interiors with branding
- Carry bags with branding highlighted
- Point of purchase displays to use extensively inside the supermarket premises
- Business cards
- Distribution of gifts and souvenirs
- Gifts with every purchase
- Proper dress code to be followed by all sales staff inside the showroom premises
- Personal interaction with the customers.
Social media promotion:
- Whats app group
- Facebook email marketing to office staff
- Very well designed website and portal
- Link with other reputed e-commerce sites
- Mobile and tab friendly operations
- All contact information and product descriptions must be given
- Images of products should contain the full details of ite basic ingredients
- Location of sister showrooms to attach
- Search engine optimization
- Bright supermarkets with its interiors should be highlighted.
- E-commerce sites accessibility.
- Exploring the possibility of inhouse product delivery.
Supermarkets are now more and more dependable. But at the same, the supermarket authorities should seriously review what are the options involved to improve efficiency and footfalls. Interior space management is very essential.